
Greg Weight
1998
I chose this portrait as it is of the famous Australian artist Lloyd Rees, whose work I am familiar with. The texture in this photograph caught my eye before I even read who the portrait was of and I think it is one of the main reasons why it is so successful. This portrait is also interesting and different in that Lloyd Rees’ face is not in the frame. Because the viewer is not drawn to the face means that the focal points in the photograph become the hands, brushes and dry, cracked paint on the coat. This portrait tells just has much through these points without showing the face than if it did.
This portrait does not have as many stand out Australian qualities as the previous painting I have chosen. One of the more obvious reasons the viewer can tell this portrait is Australian is because it is of the Australian artist Lloyd Rees.

No comments:
Post a Comment